Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Howl


Have you seen the film Howl? Starring James Franco as Allen Ginsberg, the film (2010) is an adaptation of Ginsberg's iconic poem, "Howl" that mixes the literary and biographical. We see Ginsberg in the past as he writes "Howl" on his typewriter and performs it; we see him experience life and love (or the lack there of); we're in the courtroom for the trials determining its literary merit, and we sit in his house as he intimately explains his poem.

While it is primarily a film with people, gorgeous animation runs throughout the movie when sections of "Howl" are being performed as a pseudo-narrative. It's a lovely film, and I'd highly recommend it.
Aaron Tveit as Peter Orlovsky and James Franco as Allen Ginsberg

P.S. Funny Tumblr on Allen Ginsberg

Images via 1 //

2 comments:

  1. I have never seen this movie but I love anything with James Franco! I am so glad I came across your blog! I simply love it. I will definitely be following you on bloglovin. xx. McKenna Lou
    www.lynnandlou.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this yet but I want to!
    xo,
    nancy

    ReplyDelete

I'm all about conversation over here, so what's on your mind?