Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Do You Volunteer?


Today I am volunteering at my place of work for about four or five hours. Middle school aged students from our local Boys & Girls Club will be visiting Old Navy to see what kinds of jobs there are, and what work can look like. I have to confess that I've done very little volunteering in my life; there are plenty of excuses, but when it gets down to it, I've never felt incredibly inspired by a certain cause.

But, I signed up at work because I knew it would be a slow week, and I was looking for something to spice up my somewhat monotonous summer. Now I'm getting excited, as I helped plan some awesome activities, great co-workers will be there, and I get to beat this crazy heat. Bonus: middle schoolers can be awfully enthusiastic and sweet. :) I feel glad that I'll get to show the kids that a part time job while you're in school can be great! Hopefully they feel like they will want a place of a work community! I think that's such an important thing to have; different life spheres. If they see the value of the workplace, I'm happy!

P.S. Being in the Greater Minneapolis Area means it can be hard for me to get around to find good volunteering opportunities. If you know of any, please let me know! I'd love your suggestions. 

Photo via @oliviermela Flickr

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm all about conversation over here, so what's on your mind?