Tuesday, July 30, 2013

When Friends Move


One of my best friends recently moved all the way to Texas for an internship that has the potential of becoming a job. Of course, I'm incredibly proud of him, but I'm also a little saddened that he is so very far away. While we were at different colleges for several years, there was always that comfort of knowing every break we'd be in the same hometown; if we really wanted to get together, it was feasible. Now, flying down to Dallas just to talk about "Arrested Development" over hoagies is not the most practical plan.

So my question is this: When friends move, how do you stay friends? Does your relationship change dramatically? How does this logistically work? Do you call, Skype, send letters, text? I'd love your suggestions.

Obviously, we can't just meet up for tea anymore. I sent him a fun card for moving, but in all honesty, I will not be sending things by post every week. We also Skype occasionally, and are Facebook friends like everyone in the world, but I'm hoping to figure out this whole long distance friendship thing.

I'd appreciate your advice here. As friends graduate, is it natural to just drift apart? How do you continue those strong bonds from high school and college?

P.S. I found this photo on Pinterest, but can't seem to find the source. Anyone know it's origin?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm all about conversation over here, so what's on your mind?