Wednesday, February 20, 2013

San Antonio


Valentines' Day may be over, but it's still a Wednesday in February, so let's have another, shall we? The first two were by men, and while completely lovely, there is something about a female poet that is just radiant. Women and men obviously experience very different emotions, especially when it comes to love. "San Antonio" by Naomi Shihab Nye is gorgeous and simple. It's very powerful, and I could automatically feel it.

San Antonio
by Naomi Shihab Nye

Tonight I lingered over you name,
the delicate assembly of vowels
a voice inside my head.
You were sleeping when I arrived.
I stood by your bed
and watched the streets rise gently.
I knew what slant of light
would make you turn over.
It was then I felt
the highways slide out of my hands.
I remembered the old men
in the west side cafe,
dealing dominoes like magical charms.
It was then I knew,
like a woman looking backward,
I could not leave you,
or find anyone I loved more.

Photo via

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm all about conversation over here, so what's on your mind?