Thursday, July 25, 2013

10 Reasons I Love Chicago

I am fresh off a vacation to my beloved Chicago. It's great to be back home, because there is something so indulgent about your own bed and hometown water; but Chicago is amazing, so here are some of my favorite things about it. 

1. It's like the less pompous, more relaxed NY. Lots to see, lots of culture, but no one puts on any airs. 

2. Speaking of culture, the museum scene is legit! I am in love with the Art Institute of Chicago (we saw an awesome exhibit called Impressionism, Fashion, and Modernity, which had the AIC staples A Sunday Afternoon on La Grande Jatte and Paris Street; Rainy Day!). The Field Museum is also awesome with Sue, the T-Rex.

3. Chicago's walkability is a delightful treat since living in The Twin Cities. I realize not all of Chicago is like this, but the downtown area, the parks, the theater scene, and museums are all easily accessible by foot or bus! (This is great for keeping cost low when traveling.)

4. Soldier Field is a great stadium. I especially love seeing concerts there (as opposed to the more confined theater experience) because the night sky is so beautiful and the "Windy City" ensures a refreshing evening breeze. 

5. Unlike some bigger cities, the streets of downtown Chicago (notably Michigan Ave and intersecting streets like Ontario, Ohio, Huron, and Erie) are immaculate.

6. I very rarely notice cigarette smoking, something that I regularly experience on downtown Minneapolis Streets. Factually, I'm probably wrong, but there seems to be a lower smoking population so you're not inhaling fumes as you walk to dinner. 

7. The name. How fun is it to say Chi-Town? You sound like a total tourist, but it's worth it. 

8. FOOD! The Corner Bakery Cafe and Harry Caray's are both amazing. The latter is great for a fancy dinner and the former is my go-to. This past vacation I ate every breakfast there; they have fantastic Swiss Oatmeal (which is difficult to find) and great coffee. And don't forget Chicago deep dish pizza and dogs.

9. Local spirit is wonderfully vibrant. White Sox versus Cubs runs in the blood of every local. Plus, Wrigley Field is handsome and a true American ball field

10. Pedi-cabs are everywhere and they make me smile. I've never gone on one (I'm too afraid to get hit by a car, as they use the same streets!), but they look cute. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm all about conversation over here, so what's on your mind?