Tuesday, February 11, 2014

{Currently Reading}...Norwegian Wood


Of course, I'm reading many great books for many great classes right now. But I also try to read things for fun on my own time. It does take me significantly longer to finish books during the school year, but it's well worth it.

For Christmas my parents got me Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami, the author of IQ84 (which I've admittedly not read...). I'm only a little over 100 pages into it, but thus far I'm enjoying it. It's kind of heartbreaking, as most coming-of-age stories are.

At first, it seemed really superficial and flat. It was just this boy wandering around his university being a university boy. However, now that I've gotten a little more into it, the novel has taken a much more reflective tone with the introduction of some significant characters.

It was adapted into film, and I'd really like to see it after reading the novel!

I'll let you now how it goes! This is also one of my first experiences with reading a contemporary novel that was first written in a different language and then translated to English. Do you have any good book recommendations? I also got White Teeth for Christmas, so that's next on the list, but I'm always game for suggestions!

Photo from film via 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm all about conversation over here, so what's on your mind?